If you have previously had a bed bug problem or live in an area where infestations have been reported, you may want to do what you can to keep them out of your bedroom. If so, use the following homemade herbal spray that contains essential oils that will keep the little pests away.
What You Will Need
Before you begin, gather together the following supplies. The ingredients can be found in pharmacies, herbal shops, and department stores.
- Plastic spray bottle
- Two cups of warm water
- One teaspoon of castille soap
- 10 drops of eucalyptus oil
- 10 drops of lavender oil
- 4 drops of clove oil
The castille soap gives the spray an adhesive quality so that it will stick to surfaces longer. Make sure you do not use more than the amount listed because it could leave a sticky residue.
The eucalyptus, lavender, and clove oils have strong odors. While they may be pleasing to people, they are repugnant to the bed bugs and will send the pests scurrying away.
Once you have everything you need, follow the directions below for making and using your bed bug repellent spray.
- Add the water and soap to the spray bottle. Replace the nozzle and shake vigorously to mix them together.
- One at a time, add the herbal oils and swirl the bottle around to mix them in gently.
- Replace the spray nozzle and let the mixture sit overnight. This will give the oils time to fuse together and disperse evenly throughout the solution.
- The next morning, shake the bottle a couple of times to mix it up in case any of the oils floated to the top.
- Begin spraying your bedroom. You can use the spray on your mattress, box springs, headboard, walls, dressers, and carpet.
If you have any colored materials you suspect could run when wet, test a spot in a hidden area before you spray it down. If the fabric is colorfast, go ahead and apply a fine mist. Once you have sprayed all of your desired areas, allow the spray to air dry.
Using the above spray every week should keep bed bugs from invading your bedroom. However, if you already have an infestation or start to see a few of them, you may want to contact a bed bug pest control service, like Desert Pest Control, as soon as possible. The professionals can determine the size of your problem and offer you another solution for getting rid of the bugs.