You are probably familiar with a type of fungi called mold. Reproduced by microscopic spores, mold can be found both outdoors and indoors, especially in places that are warm, damp, or moist. Some of the most common types of mold that is found indoors include Aspergillus, Penicillium, and Stachybotrys, which is commonly known as black mold.
When mold is detected inside the home, mold removal is very important as it can produce mycotoxins, which can pose a serious health risk. Here are three health issues caused by mold.
While mold is especially problematic for those who are allergic to the fungus or sensitive to it, in some cases, mold can actually cause asthma. This is especially true for those who are genetically predisposed to getting any kind of respiratory illness. Some of the most common symptoms of asthma include:
- Shortness of breath
- Coughing or wheezing attacks
- Tightness or pain in the chest
Airborne substances, including mold spores, are one of the most common causes of asthma.
If you are exposed to mold in your home, you may get chronic headaches or migraines. In fact, headaches are one of the most common symptoms associated with mold toxicity. Mold can also cause a sinus infection, which often results in getting a sinus headache. If you notice that you seem to be getting more headaches while being inside your home, you may be exposed to mold.
If you've looked for mold in obvious places but can't find any, be sure to also check:
- Behind the curtains
- Underneath mattresses
- Behind appliances
If you don't see mold growth or you don't notice a musty smell, you may need to get the air tested in your home to determine if your headaches are being caused by mold.
3. Digestive Problems
You don't need to ingest moldy food in order for it to affect your digestion. Mold spores can either be inhaled or absorbed through the skin, which means that mold growing in your home can affect your digestive system.
Some of the most digestive problems associated with mold include:
- Stomach cramps
- Bleeding in the intestinal tract
Some people also experience dehydration when they are exposed to mold in the home.
If you have a sudden onset of asthma, experience headaches while inside your home, or have digestive issues, you may need to seek mold removal services from a company like Colfax Corporation in order for your health to improve.